With autumn drawing to a close here in Ontario’s Algonquin Highlands, it’s officially time to start planning your next wintertime digital detox to peaceful Sandy Lane Resort, a remote haven located along Halls Lake’s northern rim. Sandy Lane Resort remains one of the most underrated winter getaways in Ontario, mainly because it lends itself to countless outdoor adventures and provides an idyllic dose of backland tranquillity, perfect for 2020 (and beyond). True Ontarians embrace winter in a variety of ways, including snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and skiing. But there are several other obscure pursuits that add another whole level of excitement to an already stellar getaway from the Greater Toronto Area en route to the Algonquin Highlands’ sprawling backcountry.
15 Things to Do in Haliburton, Ontario, This Winter
Sandy Lane Resort wouldn’t be one of the top winter getaways in Ontario without offering a slew of on-site activities, as well as swift access to countless off-site excursions, such as horseback riding and dog sledding. As a side note, don’t forget that kids stay free this winter! And, to accommodate each and every type of traveller, we recently pieced together a new batch of money-saving packages, ranging from a Christmas special to discounts on an alpine skiing trip to nearby Eagle Lake. Without further ado, here are 15 unique things do in the Haliburton Highlands this winter:
- Carve through snow-topped forestry on a backcountry snowmobiling excursion.
- Set up roots on Halls Lake and ice fish for a full week.
- Join an ice climbing trip.
- Go snowshoeing at the Frost Centre, home to nearly 50 kilometres of serene trails. Remember to “snap” plenty of photos and try geocaching.
- Soak in your private Sandy Lane hot tub at dusk, as the colourful sky gives way to millions of bright stars.
- Hit the slopes on an alpine skiing (or snowboarding) trip to Eagle Lake or Huntsville.
- Trek into the “unknown” on a cross-country skiing expedition.
- Channel your inner Auston Matthews on our natural ice rink, home to an annual pond hockey tournament.
- Embark on a self-guided Haliburton brewery tour.
- Treat yourself to an unforgettable dog sledding trip, led by a team of adorable Siberian huskies.
- Start your mid-winter slumber party by sipping hot cocoa beside your cottage’s wood-burning fireplace.
- Plan a visit to the Haliburton Forest’s 15-acre Wolf Centre, home to a family of wild Canadian wolves (including heart-melting pups).
- Build a snowman beside your cottage. Just don’t forget the carrot, charcoal, top hat, and scarf!
- Hop aboard a majestic steed and embark on a guided horseback riding journey through the snow-packed countryside.
- Gallop through the snow on a horse-drawn carriage ride via Yours Outdoors.
Family-Friendly Winter Getaways in Ontario: Sandy Lane
Start and finish each day of exploration, adventure, and relaxation at Sandy Lane Resort, one of the most remote winter getaways in Ontario. The resort itself boasts a variety of on-site amenities, such as outdoor hot tubs, wood-burning fireplaces (the only ones in the region), sun decks, propane BBQs, satellite television, Wi-Fi, Noric ski trails, a toboggan run, a game room, and an oversized ice rink—not to mention Halls Lake’s sprawling acreage, readily available for ice fishers. Please give us a call today at 705-489-2020 (or check availability online) to book a well-deserved escape to our prized Ontario cottage resort. We’ve also provided links to four helpful articles below to enhance your next stay!