The Haliburton Highlands area has some of the most beautiful and serene hiking trails in Ontario. This region is renowned for its breathtaking and unspoiled natural beauty and rugged terrain. Exploring the trails of Halliburton Highlands offers hikers a chance to venture into the raw splendour of the Canadian wilderness.
Sandy Lane Resort is one of the most idyllic cottage resorts in the Haliburton Highlands area. With its picturesque setting on the shores of Halls Lake, Sandy Lane Resort immerses visitors in a tranquil oasis surrounded by awe-inspiring views. Our cottages are like mini-homes away from home, complete with amenities such as satellite television, air conditioning, and queen-size beds.
Our 6 Favorite Hiking Trails in Ontario
- Dorset Scenic Tower Trail: This moderately challenging hiking trail offers some of the most breathtaking Ontario scenery. The Dorset Scenic Lookout Tower features a 142-metre observation deck that towers over luscious treetops.
- Ridge Trail Hiking Network: This trail network offers Ontario hiking adventures for all skill levels. Take a short stroll on the Log Chute Trail to see Kennisis River and a historical log chute. Seasoned and daring hikers will enjoy the James Cooper Lookout Trail, which features breathtaking views of Maple Lake, Beech Lake, Boshkung Lake and Twelve Mile Lake.
- Frost Centre Hiking Trails: This is another great network of Ontario hiking trails for various skill levels. The Fire Tower Trail is a relaxing hike that offers stunning views of Sunday Creek Valley.
- Algonquin Provincial Park Trails: Explore the hiking trails at one of the best provincial parks in Ontario. Learn about the Algonquin area logging history on the Algonquin Logging Museum Trail. Venture on the Brent Crater Trail to gander at the world-famous Brent meteorite crater.
- Barnum Creek Nature Reserve: Embark on a hiking journey through a diverse ecosystem of habitats ranging from Tolerant Hardwood Forest, Mixed Wood Forest, Marsh and Swamp to Open Upland Successional Forest habitat.
- Glebe Park & The Haliburton Sculpture Forest: The park trails here will take you through unique sculptures and landscapes. The Haliburton Sculpture Forest shares the park area with the Haliburton School of Art and Design and the Haliburton Highlands Museum.